- Job Search
- Work for Us
- Careers Advice
- Meeting Rooms
John Lewis, regularly voted the UK’s favourite retailer, began trading in 1864 with the opening of their first shop in London's Oxford Street. Since then, and through the efforts of 30,000 Partners (staff), John Lewis has succeeded in becoming the largest multi-channel retailer in the UK, with 40 John Lewis shops (30 department stores and ten John Lewis at home) and a growing online business.
John Lewis is part of the John Lewis Partnership and is a different sort of company. Each member of staff is a Partner, with a shared responsibility for the company and a drive to put its success first. They are the largest example of worker co-ownership in the UK and each year they share their profits with each of their Partners in the form of an annual bonus.
'Never Knowingly Undersold' has been a key part of the John Lewis brand since 1925 and is their unique and lifelong commitment to giving their customers the best value through great products at great prices, supported by great service.
There are 30 John Lewis full-line department stores, each typically stocking more than 350,000 separate lines.
John Lewis's success as a retailer has been highlighted by a series of recent award wins: Which? awards 2013: John Lewis was named Best Retailer, receiving the highest customer scores in 5 out of the 8 categories for customer satisfaction. They also received the second highest customer score in the online category. John Lewis are a which? Recommended provider in 7 of its 8 retail categories.
• Moneywise Customer Service awards 2013: partnership card was named the Most Trusted Credit Card for Rewards, and Highly Commended in the Most Trusted Credit Card Provider category
• Etail awards 2013: Our mobile website m.johnlewis.com was recognised as the PayPal Best Mobile Optimised Site.
• Verdict Customer Satisfaction awards 2013: From a survey of almost 6000 consumers, John Lewis was awarded Retailer of the Year, and also won the Homewares, Clothing and Electrical categories. Waitrose was named top food and grocery retailer.
• Retail Week Awards 2013: Best Retailer and Best Multichannel Retailer
• Drapers Record/Retail Week Etail Awards 2012: Multichannel Retailer of the Year
• InStyle Online Beauty Awards: Best Online Department Store
Working for us
“Our partners. The secret of our success
If you’ve ever stepped through the doors of John Lewis, shopped online, or watched anything on our YouTube channels, as our customers know only too well… there’s something different about us. But if you try to define what that ‘difference’ might be, it’s not always instantly apparent. Is it the quality and carefully-selected variety of our products? Is it down to our inspirational displays? Perhaps it’s our innovation of products? Or is it our award-winning customer service?
Actually, it’s simpler than that. It’s our Partners. As co-owners they have a say in our business, so they put time and effort into making it work. And because they’re committed to making our customers happy, we try and ensure we put their happiness at work first too. Tailored training and development, market-leading benefits and a share in our profits all form part of that. It’s why our Partners enjoy working here and why we’re the success we are.”